Electronics

 I find myself shopping for electronics.  Which ones do I need, Which ones do I want, and Which ones are worth sacraficing a fair amount of my Kitty Towards.  As we come closer to the trip I find myself spending more towards the boat, but am wondering how much of the items I am purchasing do I actually need, and what are turning into luxuroy items.  Every Item I add on the boat adds the potential for future repairs, and for future financial responsibility.  Which of these Items are Luxury Items?

   Ofcourse this question is going to be anwsered differently by most every sailor.  While some people won't sail without GPS, AIS, RADAR, WINDVANE, and ofcourse the refridgerator.  Others only need a sail and a compass.  As I narrow the Gap between selling off my land lubber belongings and putting away much needed cash for food and supplies; I find myself down this slope of Boat Electronics that I can't Escape.

Original Purchase:

172C Garmin Chartplotter
eTrex 20 Hand Held Garmin
7200 Navman VHF
Nasa Target Depth
ST1000 Auto-Pilot Tiller

Add-on Purchases: (aprox. cost - $1600)

1600W Wind Turbine
440A Charge Controller W/ 1500W Dump Load
4x20W Solar Panels
3x600 GPH Bilge Pumps w/ Float Switch
1x1100 GPH Bilge Pump
1x1500 GPH Bilge Pump
Element Pantech w/ World Navionics Maps
SPOT + findmespot.com One Year Contract
23" Toshiba TV
64 GB USB

Needs/Wants

AIS Transceiver
Radar
Navtex Receiver
Refridgerator

picture from panbo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment