Insurance

    Figure I would touch a little on insurance.  Currently we are searching the insurance for an affordable global package, which sounds like it should be relatively easy in today's modern age of gps technology and world cooperation.  Quite the contrary.  Leaving the "Hurricane" limitations out of it, which are completely understandable.  I was told that I would need three blue water experienced crew on board to do an Atlantic crossing.  I suppose they forgot to consider my boat isn't equipped for such a crew, nor would I be willing to acquire such a crew in order to comply for insurance purposes.

  I have heard mix reviews around the net about different companies.  I have been quoted an original amount, but then once I elaborated into my plans of switching areas it seems most US companies sigh away from anyone doing anything that isn't within a few miles of the US coast, and a bit of the Caribbean.

   From the companies that people have mentioned, I have sent quotes to the following.

http://bluewaterins.com/
yachtinsure.com
www.offshorerisk.com
www.imis.com

Which the last is actually a broker that will search for an insurance company to meet your specific needs.

We will get the quotes back tomorrow and make a further analysis of the insurance game, although the lack of information and global insurance is surprising.  They will give me insurance in yearly increments for area's, but this doesn't support the goal of a cruiser, unless I was moving quite slowly, which I do not plan on doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment