Budget

   As I am looking around the cruising community it is inherent that I am of a younger class and social status then many cruisers.  My moderately sized 26' boat gets dwarfed by the quad cabin, twin shower, 50' catamaran that is more common in the "online" presence that I usually find myself looking for advice from these days, since I am still maintaining a presence at work and have yet set sail.  While I'm looking towards these boats and their adventures I am beginning to realize how differently not only our expectations of day to day living are, but on life.

   This brought me to the conclusion that my boat necessities and budget would in no way reflect a 67 yr old retired doctor's boat and budget, or even a retired vet with a pension.  Since I will be cruising with basically no income and using the lent out of my pockets to line my way, I needed to approach how I was entering this endeavour differently then the initial excitement lead me to react. 

    I've concluded the unnecessarily electronics were the first to get crossed off the list, shopping for 6000 dollar radar detectors and multi screen chart plotters was unrealistic and out of my price range.  All of these things that others were saying they couldn't leave the dock without, I simply find to be unneeded burdens that will eventually brake, and need repairing in the long run.  The only other purchases for the boat will be in the means of life saving, or boat saving equipment. ie (Sails, Rigging, Rations, etc...)

    There is a consensus that cruising around with 500 dollars a month is an unreasonable low amount of money to cruise with, but this will be our initial goal.  Two people 500 dollars broken down between food, fuel, water, and entertainment.  The idea is to stay away from tourist areas, always eat on board, and never or rarely during extreme weather conditions use a marina.

    This all sounds too easy right? We'll just stay on deserted areas, only provision when needed, and use entertainment and wifi from easily accessed hot spots. Simple.  Then I read more into what certain areas, and countries require for each of there cruising waters.  If you stay 12 NM off shore technically in most areas you end up in International waters and are free to do as you please, but when you need to check in and stay in certain areas, or want to enjoy their luxurious secluded beaches there are tariffs, and fees they like to include to make their island prosperous, even if you choose not to join in on the "fun".

    You can find more detailed information about individual destinations at this great site I stumbled across.  http://www.noonsite.com/

   I'm not sure if the readers are aware, but I am bringing also my 6 month old Puppy Xena along for the travels as well.  Although she does have a passport, is micro chipped, and is up to date on all her shots, I have heard horror stories of areas quarantine pets for up to 120 days paying 10 dollars a day.  Now we are way over budget.  Only time will tell, since we do have a microchip, I have heard good things on the electronics doing justice and alot of these transits may be waved if we conclude we will not bring the dog on the island.

   In the end we are looking ahead on our initial budget limit and hope that we will stay below the mark of 500 dollars a day.  The key will be eating on the boat 99% of the time, provisioning in cheap areas and buying what the locals buy, entertainment is from nature or enjoying local activities, and rarely over indulging in anything.  Less is more as they say.  Obviously there will be emergencies and we will deal with them along the way.


                                         picture from m-ribs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment