Dog Aboard

    The Jillion will be traveling with a Dog on board through out its travels, and while I know this subject as with money is controversial I feel that the dog's happiness is with its owner, and regardless of the environment it encounters will be happy with me as we travel the seas. Fellow cruisers feel that traveling with a dog is much like traveling with a weapon, and becomes more of a hassle checking in and checking out of countries and fee's added on top that make traveling with a pet un-user friendly, unless it's a cat. There seems to be a cat cult, since it uses a litter box, and is emotional sound with or without you, but there is a reason a dog is called man's best friend and why not on the water?

      I am due to fly out on Sunday, December 15th 2013 with Xena my 50 LB Akita Inu in tow as we travel to Porto, Portugal from Stuttgart, Germany in route to start our journey on board Jillion. I had taken her into the vet four or five times in the last two months in order to get her vaccinated properly and get her documents in order. I was under the impression that if the dog was up to date on shots and vaccination she would only need a medical evaluation and we could be on our way traveling freely. Unannounced to me until yesterday, when I found out the story was completely different. I was under the impression that the Veterinary Office would be educated on the matter of moving animals throughout Europe, I was wrong.

      To find out that my Veterinary service actually knew nothing about flying pets throughout Europe, or to other countries was a surprise to me. It was if they had never flown anyone other then from and to the United States. Here I am, two days before we leave, and I found out my pet has none of the proper documents in order to fly to a separate country. The Doctor tells me this on the last day before I am to fly, and his reaction is basically benign.

     Here is to hoping everything goes well. It seems we will need to get her a blood test, and a Pet Passport in order to get here in the new PETS Scheme that is known internationally. I just don't understand why I am finding this out as I leave and the Vet was not more knowledgeable about the subject, as it took me an hour in order to find this information. The under trained and undereducated system is becoming alarming.

     What we learned from this incidence is basically to always to further research in order to make sure you are covered. At this moment we have Xena's Health Book from Hungary, Her Vaccination Records within this document, A Export Pet document good for exporting pet's out of the United States into Foreign Countries, A health Certificate to travel form the United States into the United States. What the doctor failed to do was to do a titre test for rabies in order to confirm the Rabies Vaccination to be good, and to recommend we see a foreign Veterinary Clinic in order to get a Pet Passport to insure we have traveled, as well as a tapeworm vaccination within 5 days prior to travel. If we would of followed these steps we would be covered to travel internationally through conforming countries.

     Our options now are to hopefully be passed to travel to Portugal, since we are traveling within the European union and she has been in the EU for six months, they may wave the blood test. Once we get to Portugal we will get the blood test and receive the results via email while we travel to the Canary Islands. When we arrive to the Canary Islands with the results in hand we will see a Veterinarian on the island and get a Pet Passport. At this time getting all the documents needed in order to travel further and unhindered in more countries. If our current vet would have given us this information to begin with, we would not be going through the hassle now.

    Once we arrive in Portugal, and Continue to the Canaries I will update my progress with traveling with a Pet, internationally and as we check into different countries. It seems with the Pet Passport, it would have made everything more seamless.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment